Deprecated: Function Elementor\DB::is_built_with_elementor is deprecated since version 3.2.0! Use Plugin::$instance->documents->get( $post_id )->is_built_with_elementor() instead. in /home/u610461721/domains/canine-prime.com/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5379

Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to you) for products purchased through the links on this website. Learn More


Can Dogs Have Cucumbers

Cucumbers are human food that can be great in salads or as a snack. But many pet owners tend to share their food with their pet companions, so you might ask: can dogs have cucumbers?

Can Dogs Have Cucumbers?

Yes, dogs can eat cucumbers, as long as you limit the amount. Cucumbers should only be served to your dog in moderation. And there are safety concerns to watch for, including choking and digestive distress from eating too many.

Today, we’re going to talk about the benefits of feeding your dog cucumbers and how to do it appropriately. We’ll also discuss any health concerns you need to be aware of so you can safely feed your pet cucumbers.

Can Dogs Have Cucumbers 4

Benefits of Feeding Cucumbers to Dogs

Cucumbers make a great snack for dogs who are being monitored for weight restrictions. If you’re trying to help your pet lose weight, cucumbers as a snack work great versus high carb foods like dog biscuits.

In addition to hydrating your dog, cucumbers can also be a great source of Vitamin C and K, as well as potassium and magnesium. All of these components are a necessary part of your pet’s balanced diet.

Experts recommend limiting the number of cucumber treats to 10% of your pet’s overall diet. The other 90% of your pet’s diet should be based on your pet’s food, where he will get the majority of his necessary nutrients. Too much cucumber can cause digestive problems, including nausea, diarrhea, and a swollen, painful belly. 

The amount you would feed your pooch will vary based on your pet’s size and breed. Smaller breeds need fewer treats than a large dog. 

How to Serve Cucumbers to Your Dog

 Can Dogs Have Cucumbers 3

When feeding your pet cucumbers for the first time, start with a small amount and watch for adverse reactions. While rare, some dogs may not be able to tolerate cucumbers. If your pet seems to do fine, you can increase the amount with the next serving.

You can serve cucumber to your pet cut into small pieces and mixed with other fruits and veggies for a salad. Or use bite-size parts as a topper for your dog’s dry food. 

However, you should never feed your dog a whole cucumber or large chunks, as these hard vegetables can pose a choking hazard if your dog doesn’t chew it all the way. You can even dehydrate the slices to mix into a trail mix. Or freeze them for a yummy teething treat for puppies.

Depending on your pet’s taste in food, he may not like to eat fresh vegetables like cucumbers. If your pet continues to object to eating cucumbers after a few times, switch to a different type of fresh fruit like cantaloupe, which also has a high water content to keep your pet hydrated.

What are Cucumbers? 

Can Dogs Have Cucumbers 2

Cucumbers are a long, green, crunchy vegetable that has low sodium, fat, and calories. A ½ cup of cucumber slices is only eight calories in total, making it a great and healthy doggie snack. 

If your pet has weight problems, you may prefer snacks like this green veggie over other treats. Cucumbers also have a high liquid content, with 96% of their content being water, meaning your pet stays hydrated while eating.

Can Dogs Have Pickles?

Many people mistake serving their pet pickles since they are just small cucumbers that have been cured with vinegar and salt. However, pickles are not safe for dogs due to additives, such as salt and other spices. Stick with fresh, sliced up cucumbers instead.

So, Can You Feed Your Dogs Cucumbers?

Cucumbers are perfectly safe for your dog to eat, as long as you limit the amount. Feeding your pet too much fresh cucumber can result in digestive issues. Use small chunks of cucumber as a training aid or treat during the summer months to keep your pet hydrated and cool. 

And because they’re low in calories, cucumbers are a great treat to offer your pet if they are under some weight management. Obesity can be a challenging issue to deal with, so offering healthy snacks is a great way to encourage weight loss.