Many people wonder, “can dogs eat oatmeal cookies?” As pet parents, it’s essential to know what is safe for the health of your beloved puppies. Blogs are a great source of information to help you provide the proper care for your animals. You learn what foods are okay and which foods like raisins – a common ingredient in boxed oatmeal cookies – are harmful.
Can Dogs Eat Oatmeal Cookies?
The answer is Yes, but with certain conditions to watch for.
It is not recommended to let your pet have store-bought, prepackaged oatmeal cookies. While oatmeal is safe for dogs, the other ingredients commonly found in oatmeal cookies that you buy from the grocery store can be dangerous.
For the most part, if your pet happens to snag one oatmeal cookie, he should be fine. However, if the brand you purchased contains chocolate, raisins, or sugar substitutes like xylitol, your dog could potentially be harmed. It’s best to keep these sweet snacks out of reach of your pet and never share.
Now, there are ways that you can give your dog oatmeal cookies that are safe for her to eat. It would require you to make your own or to purchase dog cookies like these yummy oatmeal cranberry cookies made just for canines.
Why are Oatmeal Cookies Bad for Dogs?
When made the proper way, oatmeal cookies can be a yummy and healthy treat to add to your dog’s diet. Oatmeal is a good source of soluble fiber, magnesium, Vitamin B, iron, potassium, linoleic acids (an Omega-6 fatty acid), and plant based protein. It’s low in gluten and is a recommended grain substitute for dogs that are allergic to wheat or corn. It’s easy to digest, so it’s great for sensitive tummies.
Making homemade oatmeal cookies allows you to control the amount of ingredients that go into the product. You can include yummy foods like cinnamon, peanut butter, cranberries, pumpkin, and apples. But remember to never use ready-mix instant oatmeal. And substitute with water instead of using milk. And never add salt.
When you serve your pets with the same packaged oatmeal cookies that you like to snack on, it can cause serious problems. It’s all about what’s included in the ingredients list. As a pet owner, you should get into the habit of checking the product nutrition label. Check anything you consider feeding your dog to make sure there’s nothing that can make them sick.
These Oatmeal Cookie Ingredients are Dangerous for Dogs
Some human foods can be too dangerous for your pet to consume, such as raisins and chocolate. These are often ingredients that you find in your yummy store bought oatmeal cookies. But here’s why they’re not safe for your dog.
Raisins are dried grapes. If you aren’t already aware, grapes are potentially fatal to canines. Some dogs can eat them and experience zero problems. Other dogs can suffer immediate kidney failure after eating just one raisin. Consuming raisins could also lead to death if not treated in time. There’s no explanation for what causes grapes to be toxic to dogs, and there’s no way of knowing which dogs can tolerate grapes and which can’t. It’s best to keep grapes and raisins, away from your dog.
Most pet owners are aware that it’s dangerous to give chocolate to dogs. Chocolate contains Theobromine, which is converted into a chemical called xanthine in the liver. Xanthine interferes with your dog’s physiological responses. She’ll suffer from a racing heart and increased activity of her central nervous system. Dogs frequently start vomiting, urinating more, and experiencing diarrhea as a way to try to get rid of xanthine. However, if there’s too much, this can lead to death.
Sugar is typically found in store-bought oatmeal cookies. However, sugar can be dangerous for dogs, much like it’s not healthy for humans. When dogs overeat sugar, it can lead to obesity, diabetes, and even pancreatitis.
Some companies use sugar substitutes like xylitol, which is even more dangerous for dogs than sugar. Xylitol poisoning can cause liver failure in dogs. You might also see honey included in the ingredients list as an added sweetener. Honey is dangerous for young puppies and can lead to death.
Signs to Watch for if Your Dog Ate Oatmeal Cookies
You can’t keep your eye on your dog at all times. Much like children, canines are known for getting into things they aren’t supposed to. Especially food. If you’ve discovered that your pooch has eaten store-bought oatmeal cookies, you need to keep them under close observation. Make sure they won’t require veterinarian care.
Check the ingredients list and make sure there are no toxic ingredients like we’ve mentioned above. If the cookies are pretty basic, your pup might not experience any negative symptoms. Mild diarrhea and upset stomach are common and tend to go away in a day or two. But if you notice your pup with any of these symptoms of toxicity poisoning, seek professional health immediately.
- Repeated vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Increased urination
- Racing heart
Be Aware of the Dangers of Oatmeal Cookies for Dogs
We understand that you want to keep your pet safe from the dangers of human foods. That’s why we recommend that you keep the boxed, store-bought oatmeal cookies away from your dogs. If your pet loves the taste, consider purchasing doggie oatmeal cookies or making some in your own kitchen. There’s plenty of simple recipes out there!
Kassidy Shepperd is the editor in chief for Canine-Prime.com. She is is a dog lover/trainer, a freelance writer and a volunteer at many pet rescue and shelter centers. Kassidy is based in Colorado and regularly writes for dog related magazines and blogs.